The complicated cycle of the HIV virus and challenges of its existence within the human body and its social and economic effects cannot be over emphasized. In line with this, CHEDI has partnered with many International Organizations working in various aspects of HIV/AIDS to mitigate some of these challenges.
CHEDI through the support of AIDS Healthcare Foundation on Strengthening HIV Sexual Prevention Services among Female Sex Workers (FSWs) in Nyanya, FCT and Masaka, Nasarawa States achieved the followings:
- Successfully empowered 1,503 FSWs on HIV Counseling and Testing and prevention messages.
- Distributed 57, 530 pieces of Condoms and 400 tubes of lubricant gel.
- Trained and empowered 20 FSWs on various Skill Acquisition programmes (Bead Making and production of Household consumables).
- Trained 30 Peer Educators on condom demonstrations/usage, group peer sessions, distribution and dissemination of IEC and SBC materials etc.
- Established 6 condom outlets in project sites for easy access and the promotion of safe sex among community members.
- CHEDI established relationship with 7 brothels within the targeted location
- CHEDI established linkages with NDE and SMEDAN for Income Generation and loan support for the FSWs.
- CHEDI Participated in the 2013, 2014 and 2015 World AIDS Day (WAD) celebrations in the FCT Abuja in collaboration with National Agency for Control of AIDS (NACA) and Civil Society for HIV/AIDS in Nigeria (CiSHAN) FCT chapter.
- CHEDI marked the 2015 WAD by carrying out free HIV Counseling and testing with the support of AHF. A total of 66 persons were counseled and tested.